Wisdom teeth, called a small hole in the history of human evolution, you have heard of this kind of thing since childhood, but also know that many people will grow up to pull wisdom teeth.
“it’s small, but it has a strange posture; you don’t know when your wisdom teeth will become inflamed, and the pain index can keep you awake all night,” the fear of wisdom teeth dominating you. Have you ever experienced that?
Modern medicine believes that wisdom teeth are the remnants of human evolution, like the appendix. Wisdom teeth are rarely used when we eat, and they often cause trouble in cleaning them.
Many people are hesitant to remove wisdom teeth because the pain is usually transient, but if you don’t remove them, you will have to go through inflammation and pain over and over again.
So, what should we do?
Why do people have wisdom teeth?
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to grow in the mouth, also known as the third molar, which is the eighth tooth in the distance from the central incisor. Wisdom teeth generally have 1 to 4.
Wisdom teeth begin to develop at the age of 16, 25, but often by this time the teeth are already aligned and there is no gap to accommodate the wisdom teeth.
But wisdom teeth have to grow stubbornly, so you will have a series of problems such as toothache, gingivitis, and so on.
Each person’s wisdom teeth erupt for a different period of time, some before the age of 20, and some after middle age, but not necessarily all four wisdom teeth will grow full.
Because modern human jaws gradually degenerate, there is not enough room for wisdom teeth to erupt, so that they have no “standing room”, there will be wisdom teeth with long askew, oblique long, long horizontally or even upside down and so on.
Wisdom teeth may affect overall health
Bad wisdom teeth are like “time bombs” inside the mouth. If some wisdom teeth are not removed, secondary diseases such as cavities, inflammation, cysts, and even septicemia may occur.
Some wisdom teeth buried deep in the alveolar bone, there is no clean to the dead corner, easy to accumulate food residue and bacteria, resulting in tooth decay, peri-crown inflammation, cysts, cellulitis.
When overworked, anxious or resistance drops, when local bacterium virulence increases, can bring about wisdom tooth the acute paroxysm of pericoronitis, commonly called “wisdom tooth is inflamed”, show for swelling and pain.
Wisdom tooth inflammation can seriously affect your normal life and sleep, which is the ultimate reason many people pull wisdom teeth out.
At this time, doctors often recommend the first oral anti-inflammatory drugs, and then pull wisdom teeth.
Destroying other healthy teeth
Impacted or misplaced wisdom teeth, easy to make food residue embedded in wisdom teeth and adjacent teeth in the gap, it is not easy to remove, the light cause bad breath, the heavy cause dental caries.
Squeeze adjacent tooth
If the wisdom teeth lack of space to grow, there will be serious gum swelling, but also hard against the adjacent teeth to continue to grow, leading to the front teeth skewed, arranged crowded, uneven dentition, will affect your appearance.
Oral ulcers, even cancer
Wisdom teeth long-term mechanical stimulation or repeated bite oral mucosa, so that the mucosa prone to ulcer, erosion.
The process of long-term wound repair and re-trauma will affect the normal keratinization of oral mucosal membrane epithelium, and then induce oral mucosal carcinogenesis.
Wisdom teeth and the opposite teeth can not establish a normal occlusion relationship, will lead to the temporomandibular joint bouncing, mouth pain, night grinding, tinnitus and other symptoms.
Six wisdom teeth must be removed
In the end, wisdom teeth need not be pulled out, which is a tangled problem.
Don’t hesitate if the following conditions occur, it is recommended to remove the wisdom teeth as early as possible to prevent more health problems.
Worm-eaten wisdom teeth are very difficult to fill, if not removed in time, it may lead to wormholes getting deeper and deeper, harm to oral health.
Squeeze adjacent tooth
If there is not enough space to grow, the wisdom teeth will continue to grow against the adjacent teeth, which may lead to damage to the adjacent teeth, and the last two teeth need to be extracted.
Have a feeling of swelling and pain
If the wisdom teeth can feel swelling and pain when they germinate, pulling them out is the best choice.
Wisdom tooth growth abnormity
These wisdom teeth usually grow askew, some teeth entirely in the alveolar bone transverse growth, which is more likely to cause tooth pain, gingival inflammation, teeth uneven.
Difficult to clean
Wisdom teeth do not usually grow as normally as normal teeth, and when brushing, the leftover food residue on the wisdom teeth is not easy to clean away.
Wisdom teeth can’t be occlusal
Not everyone can normally grow four wisdom teeth.
Therefore, the opposite side of wisdom teeth, if there is no countervailing wisdom teeth to bite, sometimes wisdom teeth over germination, and then affect the occlusion, harm to the opposite gingiva and bite the symmetry.
Can I keep my wisdom teeth?
Normal wisdom teeth do not need to be pulled out, that is, wisdom teeth germinating position is very positive, and the upper and lower teeth relative to it, can be a good bite, can carry out normal chewing function.
There are also wisdom teeth that can be treated to preserve:
- For example, the position is very positive, but there are gums covering the tooth surface, surgery can be carried out to form a normal occlusion relationship.
- If the wisdom teeth are not straight, but there is room for growth, can also be corrected to preserve.
Those who retain wisdom teeth should pay more attention to oral hygiene.
Brush your teeth in place in the morning and evening and carefully brush your wisdom teeth; rinse your mouth after meals to avoid food residue; floss the teeth every day for deep cleaning.
Treatment and discovery of wisdom teeth
Regular dental cleaning:
It is recommended that adults wash their teeth once a year to help detect oral problems, including wisdom teeth.
Before removal of wisdom teeth:
- Before extraction of teeth to see whether there is inflammation of the gums, if inflammation, the first compliance with the doctor’s advice oral anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Is in the menstrual period, the gestation period about three months, generally is not suitable to pull out the tooth. Because menstrual tooth extraction pain will be stronger, but also easy to cause haemorrhage and infection;
- Pregnant women are easy to cause wisdom teeth pericoronitis, osteomyelitis, septicemia because of the increase of estrogen secretion, the decline of immunity and anti-infection ability, and then lead to abortion or premature delivery.
- Have serious heart disease, serious hypertension, diabetes mellitus and anemia, hemophilia and other blood disease, should first control the condition, and then in the condition of monitoring under extraction.
- Consult your doctor before tooth extraction to know what to pay attention to before the operation.
After wisdom tooth extraction:
- After pulling teeth, bite cotton balls, half an hour to 40 minutes to spit out;
- Can drink water after 2 hours, do not eat hard, excitant food as far as possible in 2 weeks, the proposal gives priority to with noodle, porridge;
- Do not gargle your mouth within 24 hours after tooth extraction, and do not brush your teeth.
- Within 24 to 48 hours after tooth extraction, it is normal to have a small amount of blood filaments in the mouth. If there is a large amount of blood, there is a high risk of wound infection, should immediately go to the hospital;
- Avoid strenuous exercise within 2 to 3 days after tooth extraction.
- If suture is available, the suture should be removed 7 to 10 days after operation.
- It takes about a month to heal completely.
- 少吃甜食和更多富含维生素C ^和钙的食物可以减少牙龈问题。
Finally, I would like to remind you that the idea that wisdom teeth can make your face thinner is not true.
The shape of the face is mainly supported by the jaw, especially the mandible. The size of the mandibular angle of the mandible, which affects the shape of the face.
Wisdom teeth erupt only after the mandible is fully shaped. Extraction or not has no effect on the angle of the mandible, so it is completely unnecessary to remove the wisdom teeth for a thin face.
The reason why some people say their wisdom teeth after extraction of the face thin, may be after tooth extraction pain and swelling, eating less, when facial swelling, coupled with a period of time diet control, so that people can pull wisdom teeth can make the face thin illusion.
The tooth and the body, have the inseparable intimate relations, the mutual influence, is the reflection each other. Therefore, we should pay more attention to their oral health, once found that the wisdom teeth need to be removed, as soon as possible to deal with the disease.