Are oats good for health? The magic of oatmeal and simple recipes
Regular consumption of oats helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels. In addition, because of its phytochemicals, it protects us from cancer.
Generally speaking, it is recommended that everyone consume oats regularly as this cereal is one of the most nutritious and beneficial for health.
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it allows us to go out on the street with all the energies and face the day in the best way. For this reason, you should take advantage of breakfast to take our portion of oats.
Below we explain what are the most outstanding benefits of consuming oats daily and why. You will be surprised to see the amount of goodness that this cereal holds.
Benefits of consuming oats
1. It is depurative
Thanks to the large amount of amino acids it contains, it stimulates the production of lecithin in the liver, which favours the purification of the toxins of the organism.
Consuming Oats is good for cleaning the walls of the arteries, because the fiber ‘ sweeps ‘ the fat deposits that accumulate in them and that can generate many heart problems, raise the levels of bad cholesterol, among others.
2. Helps control blood sugar
This is great news for those who suffer from diabetes. Undoubtedly, they have to add to their diet, as it improves the digestion of starch and keeps the level of glycemia stable, especially after eating.
3. Improves digestion
If you have problems when lunch or dinner, the oats contribute to reduce the bile acids, facilitating in turn the intestinal transit and avoiding the constipation.
Being rich in carbohydrates of slow absorption, keeps the feeling of satiety for more hours, being a good alternative for those who are dieting, because it takes away the desire to eat all the time.
4. Care for the heart and brain
The reason is the large amount of omega-3 and linoleic acids, known as “good fats,” which help reduce bad cholesterol (LDL), favoring activities in the heart and brain.
on the other hand, oats are a vitamin-rich cereal from B-complex. It helps to develop, maintain and balance the functioning of the nervous system.
5. Take care of the thyroid
It is especially advisable in cases of hypothyroidism, containing iodine, a mineral that helps the related thyroid gland function properly.
6. Provides nutrients
In total there are 8 essential amino acids of oats, which make it a source of proteins of great biological value. This quality allows to form new tissues in the body.
On the other hand, its daily consumption avoids demineralization, since this cereal has a high calcium content, an essential nutrient for bone health.
7. Brings beauty
Oats are also a great ally in beauty treatments. When used topically you can get a much prettier skin and hair, since it softens and moisturizes in depth.
Ways to eat oats
Usually the first meal of the day is used to take a portion of oats. Mostly raw, flakes accompanied with milk or yogurt. You can also eat cooked with a touch of cinnamon.
- Oatmeal Milkshake. Add an apple, banana, pear, milk or yogurt to the blender with a few tablespoons of oats and mix well. This delicious drink can be consumed at any time of the day to make your body feel healthier. Sweeten with sugar if necessary.
- Pancake. It can be salty or sweet, according to your preferences. It is made with a little oats and milk, and then it can be stuffed with vegetables and spices, with jams and candies, etc.
- Oat bread. It is a really delicious wholemeal bread, you can add cinnamon and nutmeg and do not forget to place yeast to grow in the oven. You can also place raisins, seeds, walnuts, chocolate, etc.
- Oatmeal Cookies. They are an excellent choice for snacks, there are varieties with coconut, almonds or walnuts.
- in salads. Onion chop, tomato, boiled potatoes, cucumber, lettuce, grated carrots, what you can think of and finally, the special touch: oats, which must be boiled (with a little salt, if you want), for 25 minutes, wash and rinsed with cold water.
There are many ways to add oats to our daily diet. These are some of the most popular. Remember that you can choose those that you like as well as create your own recipes.